New pattern #5 is
This is the only new pattern that uses both my Tiny Dresden and Mini Dresden templates.
I designed this quilt a while back.
I guess was waiting for just the right fabrics to put it together with.
The darker green fabric is from Jo Morton’s “New Hope” collection by Moda.
I’ve used plenty of half Dresden plates in my quilts, but for this one, since it’s going to be appliqued on top of the border and not sewn into it, I had to first press and glue the seam allowances under before adding the center.
To do this, I drew intersecting straight lines on my ironing board cover with an ultra fine Sharpie marker.
This allowed me to place the seam allowance on the vertical line, then press the seam allowances up to the horizontal line.
I’ve done this before with another quilt I was working on that had a lot of 6 1/2″ blocks. It’s a good way to quickly check accuracy before moving on.
Ironing board covers are not permanent.
For instance the one pictured is long gone!
Next I made the centers.
I only appliqued the full plates’ centers.
Since the edge of the half plates’ centers overhang the petals,
they would need to be appliqued down after they were on the border.
Before long, my daisy garden was complete!
Aren’t they sweet???
This is why I quilt.
I love the process!
Next step was to double check my green fabrics.
Then see if my piano key borders were working…
I noticed shadowing of the darker green fabric coming though my daisy petals, so I had to fix that by making a lining for each one.
That was easily done with my Olfa circle cutter and some plain white fabric.
(Instructions in the pattern)
Shadowing all gone!
Now to assemble the quilt.
Positioning, gluing & stitching the half Dresden plate daisies.
Adding the last border.
Putting it on the “to be quilted” pile I noticed how it lined up with the edge of “With All My Heart” and wondered if it needed another border…
“No!” I’m going small & less complicated!!!
But I liked that idea…
Meet Dresden Daisies.
Just 31 1/2″ x 31 1/2″!
Uncomplicated & cute…
Just Keep Sewing…